April 21, 2013
On a beautiful Sunday afternoon, Abbot James, monastic community and invited guests gathered in the courtyard for midday prayer and the blessing of the old north wing recently renovated to provide suitable accommodations for elderly monks. The wing was originally built in 1940 as a novitiate wing. In 1942 it was converted for the opening of The Priory School. After a new school building was finished in 1955, the rooms in the wing have served many purposes, including barber shop, library office and annex, mail room, vocation office, and rooms for monks with special needs.
With the renovation done by Coakley Williams, General Contractor, the wing now has five bedrooms with private baths suitable for the handicapped, a nightly attendant’s room, a dispensary, public restroom and mailroom. Abbot Aidan and Fr. Hilary have already moved into the new quarters. We are grateful to all the donors who made this renovation possible for that ‘care of the sick’ that St. Benedict shows special concern for in the Rule. Major donors requested that the wing be dedicated to Fr. Hugh Monmonier, Headmaster from 1959 to 1968.